Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Video: Bluetooth Garage App is Working

App is now working.  It controls a relay switch which is connected to the main garage door opener unit.  Take a look at the video and tell me what you think.




Here is a schematic of the hardware and how its hooked up.


1)  this is a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) relay.  It is basically a switch that is controlled by a coil.       When the coil gets energized (signal coming from the Arduino), it produces a small magnetic field and 'flips' the switch.

2) this is a diode used to protect the hardware from unwanted emf signals.

3) an NPN transistor used to provide enough current for the relay coil.  The coil relay requires more current  than the Arduino output pin can provide.


Bluetooth works just outside my home, but ideally I want to control the garage from anywhere I want.  I will be modifying my App in order to communicate it with a computer through the internet.  Stay tuned...

9 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Are you going to be posting the code for the arduino, and the android app?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Internet control should be easy, just swap the Arduino's BT shield with an Ethernet shield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dave, thanks for the comment. You are correct, but I really don't want to put more money into this project than I have to. I also would need to run an Ethernet line into my garage.

      Delete
  3. Could you please provide a more detailed diagram of your circuit?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The circuit I posted is really what it is. The part numbers for the transistor and diode is 2n3094 and 1n4148 respectively.

      Delete
  4. www.pfod.com.au has a (very) similar solution. But my pfodApp, available from the market, will control more then just garage doors. Step by step tutorial, no soldering required. No Android programming required. Not much Arduino programming required

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've started a similar project some time ago (bypassing the Arduino controller) and the device is almost ready in the manufacturing facility now. It's a low cost device (just $20), uses Bluetooth and has a nice Android app. You can check its campign at Indiegogo.com (the name Clicko). I'd be really glad to share your thoughts on my idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings, Could I grab your own photograph and make use of it on my own blog page? garage door technician

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit, I have not been on this webpage in a long time… however it was one more joy to see It is such an significant topic and also ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to support making people more aware of possible issues. garage door service

    ReplyDelete